Sunday, October 26, 2008

Banoffee Pie (aka Fat Bastard Pie)

This is a pie in the loosest sense of the word. It is very easy to make but tastes divine. It is also incredibly healthy - not! I caution the intake of this on a too frequent basis. It is not a pie I crave often and it tends to get made about once a year. That being said, it is a yummy pie and the only reason I do not crave it more often is due to the fact that I know how bad for you it is!!!

So, without further ado, I give unto you Banoffee Pie

1 large can sweetened condensed milk
bananas - sliced
cream - whipped
1 pie shell - I use a graham cracker shell

Place can of milk into a pan of boiling water. The can must remain completely submerged in boiling water for three hours. I keep a kettle filled with water and just top off the pan as it needs it. After 3 hours of constant boiling, switch off the heat. After allowing the can to cool a little, carefully (and I mean carefully) open the can - voila, toffee! Spoon or pour into the pie shell and let cool completely in the fridge. Add sliced bananas all over the top of the toffee and then top with lots of whipped cream. You can shave chocolate over if you are feeling fancy but it does not need it. Allow to sit in the fridge for a while so it can set and the flavors can meld. After that, slice yourself a piece and undo the pants!!


No comments: